What are Homeopathics?
Homeopathic remedies (also called homeopathics) are a system of medicine based on three principles:
- Like cures like
For example, if the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury, then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.
- Minimal Dose
The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.
- The Single Remedy
No matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.
Similar principals form the basis of conventional allergy treatment, where the allergic substance is given in a small dose, and in vaccines where an impotent form of the virus is given to bolster the immune system against that particular virus.
Why use Homeopathics?
Homeopathy has become one of the most widely used systems of medicine in the world.
This success is fueled by several factors:
- Efficacy. When the correct remedy is taken, results can be rapid, complete and permanent.
- Safety. Because of the minimal doses, even babies and pregnant women can use it without the danger of side effects. Homeopathic remedies can also be taken alongside other medication without producing unwanted side effects. Additionally, Homeopathic remedies are not addictive or habit forming - once relief is felt, you should stop taking them. If no relief is felt, you are probably taking the wrong homeopathic remedy.
- Natural. Homeopathic remedies are normally based on natural ingredients.
- Harmonious. Homeopathy works in harmony with your immune system, unlike some conventional medicines which suppress the immune system. (For example, cough medicines suppress the cough reflex, which is your body's attempt to clear the lungs)
- Holistic. Homeopathy treats all the symptoms as one, which in practical terms means that it addresses the cause, not the symptoms. This often means that symptoms tackled with Homeopathy do not recur.
But there is a catch...
Every silver lining has a cloud, and there are two main barriers to the effective use of homeopathy:
- Prescribing the right homeopathic remedy takes more time and patience than conventional medicine. Exactly the right remedy needs to be taken for your symptoms.
Consider a headache, for example, the remedy you take has to be matched to your particular headache - where it occurs, what brings it on, what type of pain it is, what aggravates it, what makes it feel worse, your state of mind and what other symptoms you experience.
- The sheer range of remedies in use can cause practical problems for an average sized pharmacy. If the right remedy is not one of 30 or so commonly used remedies, they can be difficult to obtain.
- We built a remedy finder. Type in your symptoms in plain English, answer a few questions and the homeopathic remedy finder will help you to work out exactly which remedy you need to take.
- We opened a Homeopathic Remedy Store to sell an extensive range of homeopathics. You can search by the name of the remedy, or a few letters of the name. Easier still, you can put remedies in your basket directly from the homeopathic remedy finder.